Pages

Friday, June 8, 2007

Letter to Friends and Family

This letter was written on Sunday, May 27, 2007:

After much time and effort I am graduating with a cumulative GPA of 3.95, as well as 31.25 credits, which is 4.25 credits more than the 27 I needed. I am also graduating with four honor cords. The first honor cord is for high honors, which entails maintaining a 3.75 GPA as well as taking AP and honor classes every term. The second cord is for Family and Consumer Sciences, which entails taking two or more FACS classes and being an active member of FCCLA (the new FHA). The third cord is for music. In order to get it you must have taken 3 years of music classes, earn a superior rating in a large and small ensemble group and have A grades in all music classes. The fourth cord is for foreign language. In order to earn that one you must have A or A- grades in the foreign language classes and must have maintained a 3.75 GPA and have completed all levels of the language as well as passed the State Skills Test. I competed those requirements for American Sign Language.

This year, I have been very busy with all sorts of activities – extracurricular, leadership, and work. For all of my high school years I have been involved with pep band, which plays for the boys basketball team as well as the football team. I have many good memories with the pep band and the times when our basketball team went to State. I have also been involved with many clubs: National Honor Society, of which I am vice president over service; FCCLA, of which I am president; Psychology Club, of which I am vice president over senate/service; and I am a member of ASL Club and Chemistry Club. After school, mostly on Fridays, I have worked at the on-site child care center. It has been a joy that has provided me with an opportunity to apply what I have learned in child care, child development and psychology.

The highlights of my year have been the trips I have gone on with groups from the school. Right before spring break, I went on the Science Trip, where we went to Las Vegas, southern California, Six Flags, Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Medieval Times, Old Towne, Sea World, Disneyland, and California Adventure. Right after spring break, I went on the Music Trip. Over 200 students came. We competed against other schools from across the nation at band, orchestra, and choir. In every category, Woods Cross swept the department and received superior ratings and gold plaques. We celebrated by going to Seaport Village, the USS Midway, the San Diego Wild Animal Park, Old Towne, and Sea World.

The main achievement from this year is becoming Sterling Scholar in the Family and Consumer Science Department. This required much work even before my senior year, as the judges require that you take many classes in the department that you represent and that you have much activity in the community as well as activity in service. After many long hours, days and weeks, and months of hard work I became a state finalist. Becoming a Sterling Scholar opened doors for me that couldn't’t have opened myself. I was offered scholarships at four different colleges, and so just had to decide which one to take!

I am going to college in the fall. I’m going to major in American Sign Language with an emphasis in Interpreting. I’ll probably minor in music or child development. That’s the plan right now, anyway.

Well, I am looking forward to a good and busy summer before I head to college. Christine and I are going to take a road trip to Palmyra, New York and we are going to be in the Hill Cumorah Pageant. The whole trip will probably last a little more or less than a month. The duration at the Hill Cumorah will be about two weeks, and we’re exploring a little of New England before and after the Pageant.

I think that is about it. Thanks for reading and celebrating my graduation with me!

Holly

hollywx07@yahoo.com
http://hollyelizabethsblogg.blogspot.com
http://www.xanga.com/hollywx07

No comments: