Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Double Feature

Well, last Friday was a long day, I had gone to Physics, then I headed to ASL for an essay test, after that I went to a Literature Rebellion class for extra credit for my English class, and ironically enough, I headed to my English class where Professor Fullmer expressed his annoyance with the lack of attendance for both his English and Lit. Rebellion class and let us out early since there weren't too many people there.

Physics was as uninteresting as usual and my professor was as eccentric and childish as ever. Although, to look on the bright side, there is a young man in my class who I talk to during the time we are allotted to work on our worksheets. He started talking to me the first time that I straightened my hair this semester. He is a few years older than me, but if anything, he is a nice guy who makes the time in Physics bearable.

ASL was nerve wracking and suspenseful, I had read the book required, The Mask Of Benevolence by Harlan Lane , and the essay covered words that were within the book, but not so much the context of the book. Anyway, I am still waiting on my score, which I won't get until this Monday, the 17th.

The Literature Rebellion class was really interesting, Professor Fullmer covered songs by Black Sabbath, "War Pigs" and "Paranoid." I had never really heard the songs before or given the group with the name Black Sabbath the time of day, let alone their vocalist, Ozzy Osbourne. There is actually a lot of literary value to their songs. Specifically, the song "Warpigs", is an allusion to WWII and the Holocaust.

I was tired by the end of the day and I didn't think that there was too much to look forward to when I got home. Surprisingly, however, my mom called to see where I was and to let me know that she was thinking of seeing a movie.

With the prospect of going to the Megaplex Theatre and seeing a movie made my day seem better.

Penelope
Well, between the two movies, I would have to say that this movie was by far the best. It is a good movie if it is just a GNO (Girls Night Out) or it would also be a good date movie, I think that some guys could find something that they could appreciate in it. Reese Wirtherspoon is the Producer of the film and also plays a supporting role as one of Penelope's new friends (Annie) when she finally escapes from her homely prison.

Basically the story starts with scandal and a curse. Penelope is born with the nose and ears of a pig and because of family pride, she is never seen outside the house, let alone by many others at all. Then, when a broken and rebellious James McAvoy comes into the picture they both fall in love with each other. But in everyone's minds it is star-crossed because he isn't fit for her - isn't a "blue blood" and he cannot break the curse.

Well, I won't tell much more, because that would ruin the movie for you! But if you only see the movie for one reason, girls - see it for James McAvoy (previous movies include Becoming Jane and The Chronicles of Narnia, the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe) and guys - see it for Reese Witherspoon (previous movies include Just Like Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama and Legally Blonde)

The soundtrack to this movie has new and original songs, I went to iTunes to download it as soon as I could and my new favorite song from is now "Your Disguise" by James Greenspun. And when I say that the music is new and original, I am not being sarcastic, I did a search of James Greenspun on YouTube and only one entry came up and it was added on March 7th 2008. I also tried looking up the lyrics but none have been added thus far. Here is the music video of "Your Disguise" from the movie. I really like this song because it can be applied literally and metaphorically.





College Road Trip

College Road Trip was a good movie to see if you wanted a good laugh. The storyline was sort of ridiculous, but if you are just going to see a movie for fun, this would be the one to see. For those of us who watch Disney Channel, Raven Symone (That's So Raven), Brenda Song (The Suite Life of Zack and Cody) and Lucas Grabel (High School Musical) are easily recognized. Raven is the one of the lead characters while Brenda plays one of her girlfriends and Lucas is Raven's opponent at a Mock Trial at their high school but Lucas ends up being Raven's roomate's boyfriend.

Two other actors that I found recognizable was Martin Lawrance and Donny Osmond. The last movie that I saw with Martin Lawrance in it was Wild Hogs.

I think that being in Utah and understanding the culture that surrounds Donny Osmond and the generalization that is made when someone talks of Donny Osmond made the movie a lot funnier than may have been intended. He was basically portrayed as a happy-go-lucky musical in human form.

I could list all of the funny things and hi-jinks that happen to Raven and Martin in their movie, but I would recommend seeing it for yourself.

Well, I think that is all for now - go and enjoy your movies!
Always
~Holls

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love Your disguise by James Greenspun! In case you don't mind sending it to me, my msn is SaraANoren@hotmail.com / XOXO Sara